Monday, September 24, 2012

GSP 340 Week 3

This week I learned how to create particles, post processing, and water volumes. I learned a little about post processing volume when I was doing research on Cell-Shading but what I learned was a volume like a box and not a global thing. Something real cool I learned this week was how to make water in UDK, I knew very little about it. The only thing I knew about making water is that you had to add some special volume, but I didn't know how to add the actual water I knew there was a water texture in UDK so I thought 'Oh, you just make a plane and add the texture above it to show the surface of the water', but then I thought how do you get the water to splash around like real water. Well the answer to that is you need to add a surface actor that has those properties. This week I was also able to get some practice creating seamless textures for terrains. I also got some experience creating particles and also learned how to make the material for them. What I did in Photoshop was I created some clouds then erased some edges of them to get a poof, After that I had to work on the Alpha layer. The Alpha layer is the thing that makes the picture see-through and give the illusion of smoke. I created two different kinds of smoke textures. When I brought them in UDK I was able to make 5 different looking particles.

Here are the texture's I used this week. Anyone that is reading this blog is free to use these for whatever project they want, but I would just like to let them know that it took about less then five minutes to create each of them. So with a little reseach and practice you can create your own custom seamless textures. The dimensions might be wrong because photobucket might have srinked them but they should have been 1024x1024.

Seamless Dirt - Seamless Grass

Seamless Lava - Seamless Snow

No comments:

Post a Comment