Monday, September 10, 2012

GSP 340 Week 1

Along with being enrolled to Mid-Term I am also taking GSP 340 which is Modification & Level Design The goal in this class is to get in a group and make a playable game just like Mid-Term. It has been said that GSP 340 is one of the hardest classes next to Mid-Term because of all the information you get and the short amount of time you receive to create a game. Unlike my Mid-Term I am with a group of students that I haven't worked with for a while. I had them in previous classes and they have worked together to create some interesting games so I am confident that we will be able to create the game that our leader has in mind.

Coming into this class I was really comfortable. Our teacher is the same as Mid-Term and a lot of the students in Mid-Term already took it and told me that I was going to be fine, because I already have been doing what we will learn in the class in our Mid-Term class. GSP 340 is now the class that is required to take Mid-Term the reason is just like I said in the paragraph above that GSP 340 is like Mid-Term but in eight weeks instead of sixteen.

What we did in our group this week was mainly paperwork for the game were going to be doing. The main theme of our game is puzzles. You trapped inside of a mansion and all you have is a candle. This will be your only "weapon" the main goal would be to escape the mansion so the player has to solver various puzzles in order to escape. You would lose if either you are caught by the monsters that were going to put in there or if your candle goes out. We are still not sure about what the puzzles will be but they will be interesting to program. I am confident that we will get this project done with minimal problems.

We also have to do little mini projects for the class. So we will have two games to present at the end of this class for this class. This week I decided to do a game about digging. You are a miner that works for a very cheap company. The entire game is about you collecting ore. I made this game simple because I believe that each week we are going to have to create a new game so I decided not to go over board and overload myself with more work that I already have. With that being said I will be posting pictures of what I did and also a screen shot of how to level looks.

(The Layout I am using for the Main Playing Area - The 'Crappy Shack')
(A cheap Light - The Ore)
(This is a quick picture of my level and how you will be doing the tasks that are assigned to you in game.)

No comments:

Post a Comment