Sunday, March 31, 2013

Week 4 Senior Project

This week I was given a lot of models to make. Since I am making this game for a phone I need to remember to keep a small file size for everything I make and to keep a low poly count on my models.




A poly is a "side" of a model. For example, a six sided dice would have six poly's because it has six sides. When you get to more complicated objects such as basketballs and coffee mugs they need to have a higher poly count to get all the roundness. If you are making a game for a computer having high poly count is fine because most store bough computers can handle it, but right now not all phones are as powerful as modern computers, maybe in ten years they would be but right now there not.

When making models for a phone or any low poly models you need to think about the big picture. They might not be pretty but they do there job.




For example, think about taking of photo of yourself, now zoom in on your cheek until you can see the hair growing out of it. It's not a pretty sight, but if you frame the photo and place it on your wall and you look at it as you walk by it look really nice. That is what you have to do when making low poly models you need to focus on the big picture and not worry about little details because chances are that the average player wouldn't notice it.




I said that I had to make a lot of models this week and I will post pictures of what I made and what I used as a reference if I used anything.



























No comments:

Post a Comment