Monday, October 15, 2012

Week 14 of Midterm

This week I was placed in charge of making sure that everything inside of the subtraction level behaved properly and I also had to make the level presentable. By presentable I mean that I had to add things such as trees, ground clutter, grass, etc... At first it was hard I just found myself asking "Alright, what should I put here." but as soon as I remembered that this level had to be cartoony and also childishly spooky. So for the cartoony I just had to remember that this game is meant for kids in elementary school.

So I asked one of my friends little brother what kind of cartoons and games does he play. He said that he really likes Call of Duty, Madden and Street Fighter. I have played all of these games and know there play and art style. Call of Duty is a first person shooter, It's main goal is to create a realistic shooting game that's why you play the game through the players eyes and not over the shoulder like some other games. I knew that Call of Duty wasn't the right choice to base my Cartoony Cemetery on.

Here are some screen shots of how Call of Duty looks and plays.


So I moved on to the next game he mentioned Madden. Madden has been around for a long time it was around since the 1990 and still is very popular. The genre of Madden is just like Call of Duty is to make a realistic game, but instead of using guns you use a foot ball. If you didn't know Madden is a American Football game. Being a sports game trying to carry any of the art style would be pointless because our game has very little real life props.

These photos are from in-game footage of Madden 13, The announcers look just like the would on TV.


Next I moved to Street Fighter. Street Fighter is just as the title suggests it is a fighting game where you and a opponent have health and fight with punches, kick, and special moves until someone's health reaches zero. Just like Madden Street Fighter has been around since the 1990's but It's original art style has changed over the years from realistic to cartoony to realistic and now it is currently in the middle of cartoony and realistic. If we wanted to make our game for a more mature audience like High School's we would change our art style to that of Street Fighter, but the target is Elementary School so I will keep this in mind but it's unusable.

These two screen shots are of Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition, one of the most played and polished game of series.


After I knew none of these games were what I was looking for I looked into the cartoons he told me about. Which were "Fairly Odd Parents" and "Adventure Time." Both of these I'm fairly familiar with but I sat down with him and watched one episode of them. One thing I noticed about both were that they used solid colors expect when shading lighting and on special occasions. Fairly Odd Parents worked well as a cartoon with jokes and Adventure Time worked with action and making the watcher get exited about doing something. So once I noticed that from both I went with Adventure Time.

The picture on the left is Adventure Time and the one to the right is Fairly Odd Parents

While doing some research on Adventure Time I came across some episodes that would help me create a spooky cemetery and in general freaky. The thing that I saw that really caught my eye was that there was a slight fog on the floor and a lot of trees with ground clutter. The general freaky has a lot of fire on the floor and the color scheme is more on the red side then anything else.

This helped me decide on what I would do when thinking about my Cemetery level and how to get a game to look freaky while keeping it cartoony

No comments:

Post a Comment